- Just Released
- Sale Bestsellers
- Baby Gifts
- Back To School
- Bible Study & Small Group
- Bulk Discounts on Books & Bibles
- Christian Book Award Winners
- Dove Awards Winners
- First Communion & Confirmation
- Gifts for Her
- Gifts for Him
- Graduation Day
- Greeting Cards
- LifeWay Resources
- New & Bestselling Fiction
- Resources for Love & Hope
- Wedding & Marriage
The New King James Version (NKJV)
In 1975, more than two-hundred years since the King James Version's last update, the boldest and most extensive revision in the history of modern Bible publishing began. With a 130-person team of Greek, Hebrew, and English scholars, editors, church leaders, and Christian laity Thomas Nelson Publishers sought to preserve the accuracy and poetry of the King James Version, but in a language that the everyday person could understand. In 1979 the NKJV New Testament was finished, releasing only the Book of Psalms in 1980. In 1982, the New King James Version was released in its entirety, seven years after its commission, making it the fifth major revision to the beloved King James Version.
The NKJV preserves the authority and accuracy, as well as the rhythm and beauty, of the original King James Version while making it understandable to current readers.
The NKJV preserves the traditional literary quality of the King James Version. As the latest revision of the time-honored 1611 Bible, it deliberately seeks to maintain the sound, language, and rhythm that lovers of the Bible have come to expect, while modernizing when necessary to prevent misunderstanding.
The NKJV translates from the traditional texts of the Hebrew and Aramaic Old Testament and the Greek New Testament, and it has footnotes wherever variations are found in critical texts that would affect the wording of the English translation. The translation method is "complete equivalence," which is sometimes known as formal equivalence. It gives the meaning clearly in natural English while maintaining as much of the wording and grammar of the original languages as possible.
The NKJV is written in today's language for today's reader. All of the accuracy and beauty in the world wouldn't mean much if it couldn't be understood. To achieve maximum clarity, the NKJV uses modern English that is dignified but natural.
Take your kids on an adventure through God's Word with the #1 Bible for kids!
The NKJV Adventure Bible will get kids excited about reading the Scriptures! Kids will be captivated with the full-color features that make reading the Bible and memorizing their favorite verses engaging and fun. Along the way they will meet all types of people, see all sorts of places, and learn all kinds of things about the Bible. Most importantly, they will grow closer in their relationship with God.
- Complete text of the New King James Version (NKJV)
- Full-color design throughout - makes learning about the people, places, and culture of the Bible even more engaging
- Life in Bible Times--Articles and illustrations describe what life was like in ancient days
- Words to Treasure--Highlights great verses to memorize
- Did You Know?--Interesting facts help you understand God's Word and the life of faith
- People in Bible Times--Articles offer close-up looks at amazing people of the Bible
- Live It!--Hands-on activities help you apply biblical truths to your life
- Twenty special pages--Focus on topics such as famous people of the Bible, highlights of the life of Jesus, how to pray, and the love passage for kids, all with a jungle safari theme
- Book introductions with useful facts about each book of the Bible
- Dictionary/concordance for looking up tricky words
- Color map section to help locate places in the Bible
- 9-point type size
The NKJV Lucado Encouraging Word Bible is designed to encourage believers along their journey with the Lord. Max Lucado's warm, conversational style ensures that the marginal notes, short articles, and various study tools meet you where you are, providing encouragement and insight. This Bible will strengthen you as you follow the included reading plan and incorporate this Bible into your daily devotional life. The 30-day study guide will help you jumpstart this practice. This Bible will help you as a believer, and with Pastor Lucado's gentle yet powerful notes, it's a beautiful gift for your non-believing friends and family who could use some encouragement with Scripture.
- Fully redesigned and expanded Bible from Max Lucado (based on the Life Lessons Bible)
- 98 new "People of the Word" articles encourage believers through the lessons learned by people throughout the Bible
- 691 "For Your Journey" marginal notes mix masterful storytelling with biblical context to lead you into a deeper walk with the Lord
- 115 "Jesus Through the Bible," and "Growing in Christ" articles provide both inspiration and practical lessons to build you up
- 30-day personal or group Bible study enriches your knowledge of the Bible
- "God Cares for You" and "Growing Up Spiritually" verses are subject-specific and provide another resource in your study of the Bible
- "Where to turn when . . . " Scripture reference list means you can always find a biblical answer to the challenges you face
- Dotted margin space for journaling or taking notes
- Bible book introductions contain a brief outline of the book and an introduction written by Max Lucado
- Bible reading plan
- Full-color maps
- Clear and readable NKJV Comfort Print(R) 9-point type size
With more than 2 million copies sold, it's no secret that the NKJV Study Bible is a reliable guide for your journey into God's Word. This beautiful full-color Bible provides a complete resource for study, including thousands of notes, articles, extensive cross-references, and features contributed by top evangelical scholars. These multilayered study tools, combined with the accuracy and clarity of the New King James Version, make this Bible a perfect choice to help you understand and deeply engage with Scripture.
- Over 15,000 verse-by-verse study notes
- Bible times and culture notes
- Word studies with Strong's numbers
- Extensive cross-reference system
- In-text maps and charts
- Book introductions, outlines, and timelines
- Full-length articles, a concordance, and color maps
- Clear and readable Thomas Nelson NKJV Comfort Print(R)
The Woman's Study Bible poignantly reveals the Word of God to women, inviting them to receive God's truth for balance, hope, and transformation. Special features designed to speak to a woman's heart appear throughout the Bible text, revealing Scripture-based insights about how godly womanhood grows from a woman's identity as a Christ-follower and a child of the Kingdom.
Now with a beautiful full-color redesign, The Woman's Study Bible reflects the contributions of over 80 women from a wide variety of ethnic, denominational, educational, and occupational backgrounds. Since the publication of the first edition of The Woman's Study Bible under the editorial guidance of Dorothy Kelley Patterson and Rhonda Harrington Kelley, this landmark study Bible has sold over 1.5 million copies.
- Beautiful full-color design throughout
- Detailed biographical portraits of over 100 biblical women
- Thousands of extensive verse-by-verse study notes
- Over 300 in-text topical articles on relevant issues
- Insightful essays by women who are recognized experts in the fields of theology, biblical studies, archaeology, and philosophy
- Book introductions and outlines
- Hundreds of full-color in-text maps, charts, timelines, and family trees
- Quotes from godly women throughout history
- Set of full-page maps of the biblical world
- Topical index
- 10.5-point print size
NKJV in Comparison to Other Translations
"People often ask me why I use the New King James translation of the Bible. First and foremost, it's because I like an exact equivalency translation—one that is meticulous with the text of the original languages. This is not to say that other translations or paraphrases of the Bible don't present the truth; they do. It is to say that in my study, when I want to grow in the Word of God and know I'm reading it exactly the way it came out of the Bible, the New King James Version is the translation I choose."
Dr. Jack W. Hayford (Founder and President, The King's University)
"The idea of revising or updating the beloved King James Bible isn't a shocking, new idea at all. The current edition is the fifth revision of 1769. In the New King James Version, the 1611 Bible has been systematically-and prayerfully-analyzed and revised word-by-word under stringent guidelines to ensure that the original meaning of God's Word is preserved in understandable language."
Dr. James D. Price (Temple Baptist Theological Seminary, Chattanooga, Tennessee)
"I'm fond of the New King James Version and decided to use this translation for the START! Bible because it's easy for new believers to understand. I've been preaching from the NKJV for years. It holds to the poetic and accurate qualities of the King James Version, but yet it uses modern words that give a clear understanding of God's Word."
Greg Laurie (Senior Pastor of Harvest Christian Fellowship)
"When writing articles and insights offering guidance for couples to accompany the Bible, it was our hope to maintain the poetry and beauty found in the King James Version Bible and a clarity understood in today's language. The New King James Version allowed just that. This accurate and faithful translation can inspire couples to let God become a stirring presence in their marriage and allow them to experience a richness that only He can bring."
Dennis and Barbara Rainey
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the goal of the New King James Version?The goal of the New King James Version is to preserve and improve the King James Version, restoring its originally intended meaning.
- Who were the translators and scholars for the New King James Project?A 130-person team, including Greek, Hebrew, and English scholars, editors, church leaders, and Christian laity, was commissioned to work on the project. Each pledged commitment to the basic aims of the project, signing a statement of faith declaring a belief that the Scriptures in their entirety are the inspired Word of God, free from error in their original autographs. The process was very similar to the one which produced the beloved 1611 King James Version, but today's technology allowed for higher levels of accuracy and easier communication among the scholars.
- Is the New King James geared to a particular denominational interest?No. One goal was to produce, once again, a King James Version worthy of universal trust and acceptance as the text for all English-speaking Christians. The international team who worked on this version was made up of conservative scholars, editors, and laity representing a broad cross-section of Bible-oriented Christianity.
- How does the New King James Bible version compare with other modern translations?Based on the more recently discovered texts, some modern translations omit some of the phrases and verses found in the original King James Version. The scholars of the New King James Version retained every verse of the original King James. Significant textual variations are footnoted, showing the source of every variant reading.
- Were any scholarly checks built into the translation process to guard against possible error?Yes. Scholars were assigned specific Old and New Testament books based on their areas of expertise. They submitted their work to the Executive Editors for the Old and New Testaments, who next gave it to the English Editor to be checked for grammatical accuracy, literary beauty, and effective communication of content. Throughout the entire editing process, the work was regularly reviewed by the clergy and lay advisers on the British Oversight Committee and the North American Overview Committee. The final exhaustive process was carried out by a separate Executive Review Committee for each Testament.
- How long did the revision take? How much did a project of this magnitude cost?Altogether it took seven years to produce the complete New King James Version. (Coincidentally, the original 1611 translation also took seven years to complete.) The New King James Version represents an investment of over $4.5 million. All of those costs have been paid by Thomas Nelson Publishers.